The Road Zipper System® (formerly known as Quickchange® Moveable Barrier or QMB) is designed to create a positive traffic barrier between opposing lanes of traffic and between motorists and construction work areas.
The Barrier Transfer Machine (BTM) laterally transfers the barrier wall, one lane or more, at speeds of up to 10 mph (15 km/h). This allows the contractor to quickly reconfigure the roadway to meet changing traffic demands and at the same time expedite construction.
By expanding the work zone during off-peak traffic periods, contractors can combine or eliminate stages and use larger, more efficient equipment to accelerate the construction process. This often results in eliminating one or more construction seasons. The system also reduces congestion by enabling more lanes to be open during peak hour traffic. For partial width construction, one side of the road can be completely closed for construction while all traffic is diverted to the other side, with a moveable median barrier reconfiguring the roadway in real time to provide more lanes in the peak direction.
The Road Zipper System® is designed to accelerate construction, improve traffic flow and safeguard work crews and motorists by positively separating the work area and traffic.
Features & Benefits
- Improves safety: positive barrier separation for workers and motorists at all times
- More lanes open during peak traffic periods
- Reduces construction time and cost
- Reduces the number of construction stages
- Allows greater space and access for larger, more efficient equipment
- Creates protected haul roads
- Allows rapid stage changing